Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Something Fishy Here


Gmail uses Google's innovative technology to keep spam out of your inbox.

I have a Gmail account and have been pretty amazed at how effective the spam blocker is at keeping spam out of the inbox. I wish Thunderbird was that effective. That being said, I have a feeling they may be cooking the books, so to speak.

I get a lot of spam on the Gmail account, and it's different than spam I get on other accounts. All my other accounts get a much wider variety of spam, on Gmail it's always for a Rolex, sexual enhancements or some other such thing. Also, I have an account I use for sweepstakes and I get less spam at that one than at Gmail. I haven't given my Gmail address out to anyone except Buy.com and use it to log into Blogger. I have given the other one out to literally hundreds of companies. How are the spammers getting my Gmail address? It's an unusual address, especially the form it is in.

I don't have an answer but have a feeling Google is selling the addresses to spammers or possibly even spamming themselves to make Gmail look better. I don't know, but it just doesn't feel right.

No comments: