Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Day in the Life


I didn't get a lot of sleep today. I took the kids to school and went to bed, but at 12:30 I heard Joshua talking. I thought I was dreaming, he's in school. I heard it again, it turns out he was at the bedroom window.

"Dad, Open the door" he's saying.

"What? What are you doing here?" I said, trying to figure out if I'm awake.

He told me James was sick. Irma was sick Monday and James was getting a cough, so I half expected it. But why was Joshua here, where was James and why didn't the school call me?

He said I didn't answer the phone. - I keep my cellphone next to the bed, it didn't ring. I'm not even awake yet, "They called me, didn't get an answer and sent you home anyway?" He says, "Yes, open the door."

My head is spinning. How does a school let your kids walk home without your permission and without even knowing if your home? What the hell is that?

I got up and dragged myself to the door, half naked. I opened the door and - Hello - there's one of the teachers standing there. Joshua neglected to tell me that part.

She said they called but they called the wrong number (???) and they let Joshua come home so he could babysit James while I sleep. Thanks for thinking about me. I didn't sleep again. I also looked on caller ID, no one called, they called the wrong number all right, good thing it wasn't an emergency.

No comments: