Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sitzen Machen!


Three excellent James Cagney movies. I've seen his most famous movies on TV a long time ago but I'd never seen, or even heard of, most of his work and thanks to Netflix I found these three gems.

The first, Run For Cover, is a western. This is the first one I ran across and I really enjoyed it. Made me want to watch more James Cagney.

Next: The Gallant Hours. He is Adm. William Halsey in this one during the war at Guadalcanal.

Next: One, Two, Three. I don't know where the title comes from (Yes, I do. He talks fast, missed it the first time) but this one is funny and it highlights the fact that we have already been through the whole communist/free market thing before. It takes place in 1961 Germany after the Communists sealed off the border of East Berlin and James Cagney works for Coca-Cola. His boss sends his daughter to stay in Berlin with Cagney's family and she ends up falling in love with a communist. Hilarity ensues.

Comrade 1: "...then we just cross the border into West Berlin."

Comrade 2: "That's easy for you to say, you're a bachelor, but if I defect, you know what they will do to my family? They will line them up against the wall and shoot them - my wife, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law... Comrades, lets do it!"



Bonus movie (not streamed): Mr. Roberts, but it is on Amazon Prime

Raus Machen!

No comments: