Friday, July 07, 2006

Roadkill


Driving home from work Thursday morning on busy Hwy 192, I saw a police car stopped on the other side of the road ahead with his lights on, blocking traffic. there was something laying in the road in front of the car, I couldn't make it out. I thought someone was hit by a car, what else could it be? Must have just happened.

As I got closer I realized it was not a person but a Sandhill Crane. I realize that link is from Michigan, not Florida, but it shows the best picture and description of the bird. I have never seen the police stop traffic for road kill before. It is a protected bird, I guess that's why. What a shame really, they are very beautiful birds. They show no fear at all about walking in the road and everyone stops for them - well, everyone but the person who hit that bird.

No comments: