Friday, June 08, 2007

Long Day, Vista Installed


It was not a long day because of Vista, I'm happy to report.

I had to take Joshua to the dentist Thursday morning because he had cracked his front tooth in the bathroom. This was a follow-up appointment, but he was having some discomfort. They decided he needed a root canal and to cap his tooth, so the 1 hour appointment turned into hours, then a trip to the pharmacy to pick up some medication for him and by the time I got home it was 2pm. He's OK but he didn't like what he had to go through. Can't say as I blame him.

I went to bed after getting home and woke up at 8:30pm - couldn't sleep any more. Around 9pm I decided to mess around installing Vista too see what happens. About 9:20pm, Vista is installed and working - mostly. I need a driver for my video card to get it up to speed. Amazingly easy.

I needed to download the drivers from ATI - well, I've done it now. Not 100% sure what it is though. It's a 69 meg program, the same program that was on the CD that came with the video card, but updated to work in Vista. I'm assuming it contains the drivers because that's what the website said I was getting and there were only two choices - 32 bit or 64 bit. Unfortunately, I had to wait until I got to work to do it, I can't connect to the internet with that computer right now because the external modem connects to the computer with a serial port and I don't presently have a serial port. Kind of upgraded myself out of one. I ordered a serial to USB connector and I'll have it Tuesday.

Why don't I have broadband? My town has free WIFI access and I was getting the signal until recently. Why pay for something I can get free? Besides, I'm not very fond of the cable company or the phone company and I'm not anxious to give them any more of my money, they're already getting an outrageous amount. Might have to bite the bullet though.

Well, that's all I have on Vista right now, I'm glad I did it. I need a bigger monitor. And a comfortable chair.

No comments: