Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Leave Toyota Alone


I am not afraid of my Toyota Prius

Even if one believes all the hype, the reaction so far has been a giant overreaction. Fifty-odd deaths over 10 years and millions of Toyotas is a drop in the bucket compared to the general risk of being on the road at all.

It’s entirely possible that more people will be killed driving to the dealer for the recall than lives will be saved from going through the safety theater demanded by the Department of Transportation.

But one shouldn’t believe the hype. We went through this a generation ago with the Audi 5000 and other autos accused of sudden acceleration, and, again, mysterious unknowable car components were supposedly at fault.

I think Toyota is getting a raw deal. I'm not even a fan of Toyota, I hate their pushy dealers. Maybe it's karma.

No comments: