Friday, January 14, 2011

Banned in Canada!


Canada Bans Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" for Being Too Offensive.
The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot – which appears three times in the song is "extremely offensive" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.
I'm curious, do they have 'Rap' in Canada? I assume they do. And no one has ever been offended by the lyrics of a Rap song? I mean, apparently all it takes is one person to complain to ban something as offensive.
It ruled that "faggot," when used to describe a homosexual, is "even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so."
So the word is OK if it is not used to describe a homosexual? Because I'm not so sure you can say that the use of the word in that song is being used to describe a homosexual. All rock stars are not homosexual, are they? Some are, most aren't.

90% of the time (not scientifically accurate, just an estimation) I've heard a non-homosexual, usually kids, use that word it was not directed at a homosexual. Most of the adults I've heard use the word were themselves homosexual. Homosexuals are not shy to use that word to describe themselves or their friends. I guess it's another word that only some people can use, not others.

I don't really care, I guess, Canada can do what it wants. And I'm not trying to protect the use of the word, I don't use it and I don't care if I ever hear the word again. I don't know, it's just something about banning words or books or songs that bothers me. And it's not like Canada had a vote and the majority decided to ban the song. One complaint and the offense police shut it down. I read somewhere about the world becoming less free...

No comments: