Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Yellow Leaves

James noticed the leaves were changing color today. He picked up some that were red and some yellow - he was delighted. In case you are wondering it's only just recently that the leaves have changed and have been falling - in large numbers anyway. Florida is like that. I raked some leaves into a big pile for him to play in and he loved it. He told me he lost one of his toys so I took the rake and found it for him. His friend, Cindal, came over to play for a while. He was sad when she had to go.

We went to pick up Joshua and when we came back he wanted to play outside again. I sat on the porch and read a book while he played, it was a gorgeous day. About an hour went by and I began looking at the tree he was playing under. It was almost devoid of leaves and I remembered how it used to be so green and alive. I noticed something move. A squirrel? No, too big. I looked closer but couldn't make it out. I got up and walked under the tree and saw a raccoon sitting on a branch trying, I guess, to sleep. Lately we've noticed a family of raccoons wandering around but I've never seen just one alone. I think maybe he got stuck up there when we came home and couldn't get down because James was playing under him. I don't know. I made sure James understands that raccoons are dangerous and to stay away from them.

In the morning James and I admired a big tom turkey strutting around the yard trying to impress all the girls. He impressed us. That's a beautiful bird when they're strutting around like that. It was a good day for watching the animals.

No comments: