Friday, September 23, 2005

Watching Rita


Eventually, one of these reporters on the front line of these storms is going to be caught short and won't make it out. I've seen at least one reporting from Galveston and apparently there are other people who didn't evacuate that town. They might get lucky as Rita drifts eastward but in a direct hit they wouldn't have a prayer. The reporters in Port Arthur better watch it as well. They are staying in a new, strong building. OK, whatever. Man is no match for the natural forces at work here. One of these days you'll see an "I think we made a mistake" report form one of them. I hope not.

I also think if one of these storms comes towards Florida we would be screwed. After watching the evacuations in Texas I don't look forward to having to evacuate the peninsula of Florida. A Cat 5 storm so large would require evacuating most of Florida. After seeing the damage from the hurricanes in 2004, and the after effects (no gas, no power) I don't think I'd like to stick around through a Cat 5.

No comments: