Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Chrome


Google released their new browser yesterday, it's called Chrome.

I tried it out yesterday and found it interesting, but not outstanding. I like FireFox much better, especially security-wise.

I do like that Chrome shows thumbnails of your most visited sites when you open a new tab. It would be better if you could choose between most visited sites and sites of your choosing. Opera does the latter.

It imported my FireFox bookmarks exactly as they are in FireFox, instead of putting them in a separate folder like Opera did.

Just a few minutes ago I loaded a few forums I use and it automatically filled in the user name and password. Sounds good except I never visited those sites with Chrome before so how did it know the passwords? I just visited another one and it did the same. That's a little disconcerting. Did it get the passwords from FireFox?

It also tried getting access to the internet a few times even after I had closed it, presumably looking for updates. I don't know.

I won't be using Chrome very often, if at all. It's a curiosity. I use FireFox and I use NoScript, and I love it. Chrome creeps me out privacy-wise.

Here's a Chrome review.

Edit 9/07: Chrome does copy passwords from FireFox, it says so when you are installing it.

No comments: