Sunday, August 19, 2012

Putting the Cart Before the Horse


Atheists claim Ground Zero cross sickens them
A lawsuit that challenges the placement of the cross at the site of the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center alleges atheist plaintiffs have suffered serious physical and mental illness because the religious symbol has made them feel excluded.
No, no, no. They feel excluded because they suffer serious physical and mental illness. There's a difference.

I consider myself a Christian, for lack of a better name - I follow Jesus, although I personally prefer to use the name Yeshua for reasons I won't go into here. But I don't quibble, I use both. The point is, I don't use the cross. I don't believe we should be making or using crosses. I don't think it's biblical to use it as a symbol, it's something people have added. I don't bother other people with my belief, it's just a personal thing for me. If you like it, more power to you.

Now, if I go somewhere and see a cross, it doesn't offend me. I don't become physically or mentally ill. I don't care where I see it, same effect. Nothing. If I see a Jewish Star of David, that also has no effect on me. Even if I see a Muslim crescent, which if anyone's religion offends me it's that one, it also has no physical or mental effect. I just go about my life. The little Darwin fish thingy doesn't make me sick either.

If any of these symbols seem to effect you physically or mentally, may I suggest you get some help because you seem to need it. It may not be a full-blown mental illness, but something is unbalanced in your brain.

The above does not say all atheists are mentally ill. It also does not say only atheists are mentally ill. It does say, "People, get a grip."

No comments: