Sunday, January 23, 2005

Spelunking


It's probably not a good idea to explore a cave with a bottle of whisky, especially if you're drinking it.

Man found after weeks in cave

"Wrapped in plastic sheeting, he said he ate wood and clay, which may have been the remains of the mushrooms."


In pitch blackness, there's no telling what he was eating. I don't think he wants to know. It could have been worse though, at least it wasn't an underwater cave. The first guy was stupid, the underwater cave divers are just plain crazy.

There is even a cave diving blog: Speleonet. 11 of 19 posts on the first page (as I write this) have to do with the death of a diver/divers.

I've been in my share of caves. Luray Caverns, Skyline Caverns (which was actually dug out by hand!), I'm sure a few others in Virginia which I don't remember, Carlsbad Caverns,Rio Camuy Cave in Puerto Rico and even a small cave in Japan which I went into completely alone after paying the 500 yen or whatever it was and being handed a candle (I kid you not). It was not a very large cave and actually came back around to the entrance, you couldn't get lost if you tried. It was a little creepy though, just having a candle. So, I understand the attraction of caves, but really, some things I just don't have to see.





No comments: