Monday, September 02, 2002

For those wondering about my snakes, I like them as pets because I think they are interesting behaviorally and to look at, I have since I was a child, and they don't need the constant attention of most other pets. I can go away for a week and not have to get someone to take care of them. I don't take them out and play with them. I handle them only when it is necessary for the most part. I have most of them in special escape proof snake enclosures from Vision Products. A few I still have in fish tanks because I can't afford any more of the other cages yet. The first one I bought is a Boa Constrictor. I've had her since she was a baby and she is now about 6 or 7 feet long. A couple years later I bought a male as well, but he is not as large. Since I was a child I wanted a boa constrictor, I got one, and now my advice is to seriously consider everything about the animal that you are buying. I really like her but a large snake eats large meals and that meal eventually needs to be cleaned from the cage. I like big dogs too, but I don't think I'll ever get one.

My advice would be to stick with a snake that remains small. I know alot of people buy a large snake because they think it's cool, but there are alot of really interesting small snakes, including pythons and boas. My absolute favorites snakes I own are my Savu Pythons or Sawu, depends who you talk to, from the island of Sawu in the indo-pacific. I have a pair. They stay small and are so much more interesting than the larger snakes. My second favorite are my pair of Spotted Pythons. They are from Australia and they also stay small. I also have a California Kingsnake, Northern Pinesnake and a Corn Snake. That's it for the snakes!

We also have a Sulcata Tortoise thanks to Irma, who couldn't live without that cute little guy who will grow to about 2 feet long and dig up the whole yard. I couldn't talk her out of it! Don't get me wrong , it's a nice tortoise, I like it, It just gets very BIG. To round it out, we have a couple of small turtles, a Mud Turtle and a Musk Turtle, both of which I highly recommend to anyone wanting to keep turtles.

Of couse we have plenty of lizards, some snakes, frogs, and a gopher tortoise that visit us regularly, but they stay outside! Hey, this is Florida.

No comments: