Tuesday, February 18, 2003

This essay by Stephan Pollard pretty much sums it up: My address book is the first casualty of war A must read.

I read an article in the Orlando Sentinel about a bull named Cold Cold Heart. I can't link to the article because they charge to see it. I don't really know alot about bulls, my neighbors own some and they seem tolerant of people and will come to you if you have fresh cut grass to feed them. They are fenced in by barbed wire mostly and they don't try to go beyond the fence except to stick their head through and eat grass. Twice we had one in our yard. I don't know how it got there but they came and got him.

I always wonder how the barbed wire keeps them in. I've seen them stick their heads through the wire, barb piercing the neck, blood trickling down, seemingly oblivious to any pain. I'm quite sure they could just push right through if they had a mind to do it. I've even seen a two inch long I don't know what (fly?) biting and drawing blood from one of them. Again, completely oblivious to the pain, and I know getting bit by normal sized fly at the beach hurts like hell. I'm not up on fly species, sorry, obviously not a house fly.

So, about Cold Cold Heart, this is what caught my attention: "Three years ago (his debut), Cold Cold Heart did something a bull is not supposed to do, something that local rodeo enthusiasts regard as a freakish athletic accomplishment along the lines of Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points in a game or Don Larsen's World Series no-hitter."

"In a rodeo that was held at the Kissimmee Silver Spurs Arena 2000, Cold Cold Heart bolted out of the chute, bucked off a rider with one arching jump, ran 50 yards across the arena, gathered himself just before reaching a 6-foot tall fence, and jumped over it like a thoroughbred horse clearing a hurdle."

Says Osceola rancher/Silver Spurs committee member George Kemfer: "It was entertaining."

"Next time out, Cold Cold Heart did the same thing. Rider - gone. Fence - cleared. He also charged through a chain-link fence outside the arena and narrowly avoided steamrolling over a rodeo hand and a spectator or two as he tried to circle back to the holding pen to rejoin his fellow bulls."

Here's the link, even though you have to pay.

Then, on the probullstats website, I read this:

Cold heart maybe, but hot blooded for sure. They had this bull penned right by the walk in door at the back of the coliseum, and it's just fortunate he didn't eat any small children that ventured too close to the fence. Looks a lot like G21 Durango of Neal Gay's, but is younger and has a lot more pent up anger and hatred for humans. Might be G21's evil twin. They didn't load him in the bucking chute as much as they captured him. Like catching a rabid moose in a box trap. Layed and sulled in the box, and bellered the whole time... hard to get out on. Lamar took him squatting, and holy smokes did he leave there. Leaped and dropped... Big time E. If he keeps that up for 8 seconds, he oughta have some medals pinned on him. Big brindle nightmare of a bull.

No one has ridden this bull more than 4 seconds. I don't know alot about rodeos but if it can't be ridden and therefore no points can be scored, what's the point? Maybe they have special prize money for riding it 8 seconds. I've read where some have refused to try to ride Cold Cold Heart. An 1800 pound animal that can clear a 6-foot fence. Damn! I want to see it! I sure am glad all bulls aren't that ornery. So is my mother, she worries about the kids. Maybe she shouldn't read this.

That's all for now.



No comments: