Sunday, August 24, 2003

Powerbook Hinges

One of the hinges on my powerbook broke last week. I started searching the internet to get it fixed and learned that Mac wanted $1600.00 to fix it. If I was Bill Gates I wouldn't pay that much on principal. Supposedly, they have to replace the whole frame. No thank you!

I found another place that said they could do it for about $400.00. Better, but $400.00 for a hinge? Come on. One site described how a guy fixed his hinge with a piece of sheet aluminum but I learned that it didn't last very long. I gave serious thought to just leaving it broken.

I finally thought to check eBay and found a (somewhat) reasonable pair of hinges, bid on them, and won. I also found a source for a new hinge for about $150.00. I paid less for both sides and I'll sell the other on eBay.

Fixing it took about 15 minutes. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was prying the screen shell apart at the hinge to remove it because it is glued. I used a tiny screwdriver very carefully and reglued it with gel crazy glue. There is only a slight ripple where it was repaired, hard to see, and I can live with that. If you do it, completely remove the screen at both ends so you don't break the other hinge by twisting it.

Temple Mount Reopened To Infidels

This is a significant because Muslims absolutely hate it. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Some groups in Israel, such as the Temple Mount Faithful, want to rebuild the Jewish Temple on the mount. You wanna see Muslims have a complete coniption? It's hard to imagine there could be so much hatred in a human being, but just wait. Read this. Fasten your seatbelt, we may be experiencing some turbulence.

No comments: