Thursday, December 23, 2004

Here Doggie


My neighbor is a cowboy. He doesn't look like a cowboy, he is a cowboy. That's his job. He's got 4 working dogs, 2 are Australian Cattle Dogs, they are called heelers, and the other 2 are called headers, but I forget the breed. Heelers nip at the back legs of the cattle to get them to move and headers work the front and stop or control the cattle. It's incredible to see those dogs in action, they are so full of energy and obviously love what they do.

The other day he asked me if I would take one of the Australian Cattle Dogs. He said it's a really great dog (and it is) but it just doesn't have the heart to work like it should, it's just not earning it's keep. It doesn't effect it's pet potential at all, it's a super friendly dog and great with the kids, he just needs a dog that will work.

I wish I could say yes. Irma doesn't want to have to deal with the loss of another dog and my head is ruling my heart. I really can't afford to take on that responsibility right now. I really like this dog though. I really want James to grow up with a dog. James likes the dog too.

What to do, what to do?

No comments: