Sunday, December 12, 2004

Tolerance


Christians in America have it pretty easy compared to Christians in many other countries. Don't think there aren't people who would love to do this to American Christians - another reason to not take the anti-Christian movement lightly.

It's funny how the most intolerant people are those who claim to be the most tolerant - the left. Why are they so offended by the word "God" or anything at all to do with God. The Christian God, other gods are OK. Offended? What's the big deal? Are they so insecure in their own beliefs that they can't tolerate faith in another person? Are they afraid it's contagious?

While I prefer to live in a world where everyone keeps God's commandments, I'm under no illusion that the world will ever be that way without direct, divine intervention. It doesn't offend me if someone doesn't believe in God. Or believes in another god, unless that god tells them they have to kill me, my family, friends and fellow countrymen. That does offend me, and it should. But generally, to each his own. If you want to take someone elses rights away, well, they may be coming after your rights sometime in the future. No, America works best the way it was meant to work. No separation of church and state - it's not in our founding documents, but no state religion either. You're free to believe or not believe, express or not express. Freedom is the operative word here and when you take someone elses freedom away, you lose some of your own. Freedom can be frightening and I think that's the reason so many are willing to trade it for security. But then, they don't trust God, don't believe what He says, and don't believe He exists. In order for America to work best, to work as it was meant to work, requires a people of deep faith in God.

If people are going to be so easily offended, I think that should be their problem. It's paralyzing this country. It hit me one night while I was at work. I was walking back past the pool and I almost ran into a guy - drunk and naked. I told him he couldn't walk around like that and to go back to his room. He ignored me. We've had some problems with this guy before so I went back to the lobby and called the police. They came out and I told them what happened. He had gone back to his room by now so the police didn't see him outside. I was walking with them towards his room and they explained that they really couldn't do anything about it unless it offended me. Did it offend me? I wasn't expecting that question and I had to think about it. No, it didn't offend me, I just thought that he shouldn't have been walking around the hotel naked, it just isn't done. Other guests most likely wouldn't like to see it either - it's not a nudist hotel. Are people allowed to walk around outside naked? I didn't think so. But, apparently, I had to be offended and I wasn't willing to go there. I wasn't offended. Not liking something does NOT equal being offended.

Maybe if the officer saw him it would have been a different story, I don't know. We went to his room and knocked but he didn't answer. I used my key to open the door and it opened a crack but the chain was on the door. The officer shone his light in and the guy was laying in bed, clothed, and watching TV. He completely ignored us. He was awake, he just would not acknowledge that we were at the door, shining a light on him and talking to him. He was checking out the next morning so we just left him alone and I checked to make sure he didn't come back out later. He was going to check out whether he wanted to or not. Very strange fellow.





No comments: