Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The Flying Shark

James got a stuffed shark the other day. It's about a foot and a half long and you can stick your hand under the chin like a puppet and move the mouth. It even has a scream sound effect. He's been carrying it around everywhere - it's his new favorite toy.

How does it fly? Well, we were coming home from Palm Bay the other day and James was playing quietly in the back seat. I'm driving on Hwy 192 about halfway home, 65 MPH, two cars behind me. Suddenly James is crying and screaming, "My shark is gone, my shark is gone!" I looked at him and scanned the car trying to figure out what he was talking about. He was so upset. I noticed the open window and asked if he put the shark there. " Yes."

I pulled over and let the cars pass, made a u-turn and looked desperately for the shark. Just when I thought we passed it I saw it in the middle of the road, about a foot from the center line. I pulled over again and got out. There was a semi heading straight for the shark and I didn't have time to grab it before it reached it. "Please go around it." He heard me and I picked up the shark - almost unscathed - it had a scratch on the eye. Both cars and the truck missed it. James was so happy to get it back and I was a hero.

Sharks don't fly.

No comments: