Friday, February 29, 2008

By Choice


Time magazine has an article by Bob Geldof relating some time he spent with George Bush: Geldof and Bush: Diary From the Road

It concentrates mostly on Africa but has some interesting insights into President Bush and life as President of the United States. It's worth reading.

I pulled out the following paragraph because of a quote by the President - emphasized in bold.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to be the President of the U.S. and not change as a person or evolve in your understanding of the world. I suggest that his commitment to Africa has been revolutionary in its interest curve. "That's not true," he says. "In my second debate with Al Gore, I came out for debt cancellation and AIDS relief. I called AIDS a genocide. I felt and still do that it was unacceptable to stand by and let a generation be eradicated."


Of course he said that in relation to AIDS but what immediately came to my mind is that that is precisely what we have done with abortion in this country - and many other countries as well. We've let a generation, at least, be eradicated, not by disease or catastrophic accident, not even through ignorance, but by choice.

How sad.

No comments: