Saturday, May 24, 2003

The Hospital

The operation went well Friday morning and I spent the morning eating breakfast first, then reading .pdf books and playing solitaire. No internet access. The breakfast was terrible, undercooked, powdered scrambled eggs. Tabasco to the rescue. Irma got to her room at noon, still pretty drugged up. I brought some DVD's and watched some movies, Irma mostly slept. I went to the cafeteria for lunch but decided against it. It's very telling that some of the unhealthiest food you can eat is sold in the hospital. They don't even pretend to have healthy food there. I went to Long John Silver's, not much of a step up but Irma didn't want me to be gone long.

I stayed the night with her, sleeping in the most uncomfortable chair available. The hospital here in Kissimmee doesn't seem to have much security. I could pretty much walk around anywhere I wanted and no one would ever question me, except perhaps ICU and the maternity ward. When I visited my father in the hospital in Kearny, NJ, we could only go up 2 at a time with a pass, which a security gaurd checked and no cameras. I finally talked them into letting me bring the camcorder to show my father pictures of James, who was less than a year old. I think they only let me because he was dying. Even the nurse upstairs said something about the camera and I assured her I wasn't taking any pictures. I took pictures anyway, screw them. My fathers dying and I'm not allowed to take pictures? They're not trying to hide anything are they? This was prior to 9/11.

They let Irma come home today, I was so happy. It's good to be home. She has some pills for pain but she's walking around and doing great. Her mother came over and they decided to go to her house for the night. The idea was to take Joshua and leave me with James but James didn't like the idea and persuaded them to take him too. You should have seen the smile on his face when he buckled up! Bugger. I'll be going over tomorrow for lunch, maybe Abner will come too. In the meantime I'm gonna get me some restful sleep tonight.

Toe Socks

In the hospital Irma wanted me to put some socks on her and when I took them out they were toe socks. Freaky! At one point she got up and put on some sandals and the little toe was sticking out the side like it was broken, that just freaks me out. When I got home and had a chance to read some blogs I found some mention of toe socks at Aged and Confused and Yellow Jeep Girl.

No comments: