Monday, March 17, 2003

Post-religious Europeans

What an interesting term: Post-religious Europeans. I know many people do not believe in God and I know how they look down on people who do. I mean how smart must you be if you believe in an invisible man in the sky. There is no scientific evidence, no obvious miracles are happening. The Earth and the universe are obviously more that 6000 years old so the creationists are crazy. We are here by means of evolution, anyone with half a brain has to admit it. The bible is just a work of fiction, a way for ancient leaders to control the masses, full of fairy tales.

Reading this article by Justin Webb you can just feel the contempt he feels for "simple American faith - with heaven and hell, good and evil and right and wrong" and I must admit to being surprised by this article.

Here's another quote: "They believe that the devil is out to get you. That evil is a force in the world - a force to be engaged in battle."

If you don't believe in God or the devil, fine I get it. But even if there is no god or devil, heaven or hell, and therefore no "evil", how can you explain Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Stalin, or Hitler. How can you say there is no evil? If it's not evil, what is it? All is well with the world, no one is evil. No right or wrong. What do you say when a guy goes into a daycare center and starts shooting the kids? Hey man, you really shouldn't do that dude, sombody has to clean it up. Why does evil have to be attached to the devil? And if the above mentioned dictators are not a force of evil in and of themselves, what is?

Here's another: "Americans will talk of praying as if it were the most normal, rational thing to do."

Obviously if you pray you are a complete idiot according to Justin Webb, if not the post-religious Europeans. I don't think Americans pray as often as they say they do. I think it's become a polite thing to say to someone: I'm praying for you or I'm praying I get an A on the test, etc. I think Americans say it alot more than they do it. I hear alot of people say it that I know don't go home and do it. Americans give lip service to God but most don't "obey" God.
2 Timothy 3:5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Nevertheless, this guy is being really cruel.

The point is, I've never heard this as a reason why Europeans don't like us. If Justin webb is right it seems to be significant. I can't help thinking there is an undercurrent of religious belief in Europe though. The future European superstate (formed out of the collapse of the current European Union, of which England will not be a part) will be very much influenced by a church. We shall see. At any rate, it is a fascinating article.

No comments: