Friday, May 09, 2003

Hurricane hunter

This morning I heard on the news that they were opening a P3 Hurricane Hunter aircraft to the public at Orlando Executive Airport, so I thought I'd take James to see it because he loves airplanes. Once we found it we had a great time. We went to the airport entrance but the airplane was in the back of the airport at a different unmarked entrance. They were all prepared with maps and didn't even wait for me to ask, she knew what I was looking for, so apparently, everyone was doing the same thing. It would have been nice if the news let us know where it really was since I went way out of my way to get there and as it turns out where I needed to go was much closer to home.

There was a bus to take us from the parking lot to the aircraft and James loved the ride. It was his first time in a bus and he wanted to ride again. The plane had a steep stair (ladder) to get in but James took to it like a pro. He had fun sitting in the seats and looking out the windows. The crew gave him a patch and some stickers. We went back down and had a look around outside and took some pictures. After a little while James started running to the ladder again and I caught him at the bottom. I let him go back up, since he doesn't get to see many airplanes and he started acting like he worked there. He knew his way around and knew what he wanted to see. I took a few more pictures and headed out to pick up Joshua from school. He had alot of fun and wants to do it again. I put the pictures on my website, you can see them here, along with various other photos I've taken lately.

There is one kind of funny thing I noticed after looking over the pictures. The plane was full of electronics, all kinds of test equipment, radar, computers (Gateway), you know. James thought some of the radar screens were TVs, but I corrected him. But, in one of the pictures you can see a TV guide so I guess they can check out Surviver on the way to the hurricane. See for yourself.


No comments: