Thursday, May 29, 2003

On the Highway to Third-World Status

Ilana Mercer writes Downsizing jobs, outsourcing lives

The trend is growing.

The Threat Among Us by Cal Thomas.

One of the advantages our enemies have over the United States is that too many Americans don't take them seriously. We prefer the short-term comfort that denial brings.

Michelle is right: Myth of the Muslim hate-crime epidemic

I work for, talk with, and interact with Muslims everyday. I have for many years. There's a large Muslim population here. They are doctors, dentists, nurses, store owners/employees, hotel owners/employees, students, and friends, you name it. Never, never, never have I heard a single instance of a hate crime. I haven't heard of anyone being harrassed in any way. They are a part of the community and they are much more concerned with getting the tourists back here in large numbers again so business will go back to normal than they are with hate crimes. I've sensed a little fear of the possibility of problems, especially right after 9/11, but nothing happened. And life goes on.

That being said, they are a large and growing population. And secretive, you are not allowed into their services if you are not a member. And it is not inconceivable that at a point in the future when Muslims start becoming a majority, if trends continue, that they will be voting with other Muslims for the America they want. Don't lose any sleep over it, it's not an evil plot and it's a long way off, but it's something to be aware of. Every religion wishes the whole country shared their views, but most religions are not growing so fast.

Photos From Space

Check out this site: The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth. There are alot of great photos to look at. I was looking at the photo of Abilene, TX, since I lived there for a year, trying to find the apartment I lived in. I can't remember enough to figure it out exactly but I can see the general area. It was on S. Clack (Las Brisas Apts). It was interesting to see Dyess Air Force Base since I worked there and have been on that tarmac many times. I was there when they introduced the B1 Bomber. It did some flyovers and parked for everyone to get a good look.

No comments: