Friday, April 23, 2004

Beware the Virus

Today I got an e-mail with a viral attachment. It is the first time I have received one. It was obvious to me because the e-mail was sent as if from my e-mail host telling me I have been sending mail with virus attached. It said more info was attached and said for security I had to use a password, which it gave. I don't use that account for sending mail, only receiving and I have e-mailed and had contact with the owner and I know his style of writing. It was not from them. I reported it to them and scanned for a virus and sure enough, that's what it was.

If you need anti-virus software but can't afford it, there is a solution. Go to Panda Active Scan and use their free online scanner. It works and it will also remove the virus. It is what I used today.

BTW, don't click on any e-mail attachment unless you are 100% sure you know who sent it, you are expecting it and have scanned it for a virus. A virus wouldn't spread if people didn't click on them.

No comments: