Saturday, September 04, 2004

This Thing is Slow

Thursday morning I went to Home Depot to get some plywood. The line was from one end of the store to the other. I waited in that line from 8:30am - in the hot sun, no shade - until 2:30pm when I finally was able to buy 10 sheets. They closed most of the store and were only selling hurricane supplies. When I got back I started installing them and worked until 7:30, getting most of it done. I had to go to work Thursday night so I took a shower and went to bed. I worked all night catching up on the audits from Aug 29 and brought them up to date. The manager came in to take care of guests or I would never have finished. The next morning I was almost unable to keep my eyes open. I fell asleep for an hour and went back out to finish the job. I got all the boards up and used a hole saw to drill some holes so I can see out and to let a little light in. very little.

I have been making spelling mistakes lately on this computer and I thought it was just because I am so tired but I just noticed in that last sentance that I am unable to type an upper case v. It won't do it. I guess I need a new keyboard. Some of the other keys are less sensitive too, I have to deliberately press them.

I went up on the roof to check it out and fixed one problem I had. It's too late for anything else now anyway. I put all the loose plants in the garage - yes, the orchid too. If I put it in the house all the bugs will come out of the pot and get in here with me. I had already cut branches from all the trees but there are a couple that I hope I am not sorry I didn't just cut them down. We'll see. The guy across the street really butchered one of his trees - it's mostly a trunk now.

I am as ready as I will ever be for this hurricane and now we are just waiting as it slows to a crawl. Irma took the kids to her sisters house (I've been abandoned!) and I'm doing this and that before I lose power. The power has gone off six or eight times already this morning for a few seconds or minutes. I cooked up some honey-barbecue chicken last night, made some whole-wheat pancakes this morning (my new favorite breakfast), boiled most of the eggs so I can eat them if the power is off, washed some clothes, washed the dishes and now I am waiting.

I'm supposed to go to work tonight but I already told them I would not drive to work in the middle of a hurricane. Now they keep pushing landfall back further and further and I hope it's not calm when it's time to go to work and impossible to get home. They want everyone off the road after 12 noon and it is getting windy now so I'm pretty sure I won't be going in anyway. I just heard them say (on Tv) not to drink too much because you will need to keep you're wits about you and I remembered when I went food shopping yesterday the guy ahead of me in line had his cart filled with cases of beer. Who needs food, right?

If anything happens I will let you know. If I can.

No comments: